Wednesday, May 12, 2010

There it is

I feel the poem "There it is" by Jayne Cortez is very simple, maybe even alittle too simple. However, even though this poem is extremely short and simple it has alot of meaning within the words and phrases. She talks about not giving up and to stand tall and united as one whole to gain and show power in the world. Its about living and trying to survive in this world full of racism and oppression. That one day there will be hope but for now everyone who wants a better life has to stick together and they will succeed in having a better life - the one every person deserves to have

3 comments:

  1. I agree with Janelle, this poem is simple – but only upon the first read. After a few read throughs I find this poem very deep and not very simple. I like what Cortez says in what this poem stands for – unity, organization and standing up for what a particular social group believes in, will grant us the power to control our lives. I used to think it was more empowering to avoid this type of confrontation, but as I grow I've come to know that the only way for others (the moral majority?) to realize how minorities can work and live fully integrated and respected, as any other social class into, society is to confront. I think the 'We' represents African-American women, however, it could include all women, as Cortez is a social activist. 'Fighting' as used in the context of this poem, is a metaphor for standing up for Black women and not physical violence. These women do not have to be victims.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, definitely and exhortation, or call to action--see my comments on Andrea's and Constanza's blogs, as well

    ReplyDelete
  3. See Rosemarie's blog and my comments, as well

    ReplyDelete